Dearest Niji,

There are just a few things that I hold dear to my heart. Among those things are rainbows because of the beauty, mystery and hope that it brings. If I were to whittle you into a metaphor, you would be my rainbow. Niji as the Japanese calls it. Do you want to know why? You are my rainbow because you gave me hope, you inspired me but most of all, you tantalized me. You still do, actually.


Whenever I see a rainbow, I feel hopeful. After a dark day of rain, a rainbow will appear and the sun shines brighter after. You appeared while I was in a rainstorm. Through the gray haze of memory, I can still recall you vividly. I can still recall our first meeting. Do you remember when we first met? Off course you do! We just talked about it one Friday evening. I don't know if I can safely say that I love you but I have heard someone say that if something is as heavy as love, the heart can bear the weight. After two years, I am still bearing it. Because of that, I am still hopeful.


Seeing a spectrum after a gray day is totally inspiring. It seems that my imagination is always up in the sky dreaming wide blue fantasies. Sometimes, it is in some forest, looking for some green epiphany growing from the underbrush. There are also some instances where it is under the sea, trying to fathom the darkest mysteries, reveling in the dark. You know those things are true. However, you inspired me to stay on the ground. You helped me come to terms with the gravity. You turned my insane imagination love the reality of life, which I loathed. To some, it may seem that you stunted my growth but for me, you inspired me to reach out to something that I brownly feared.


After all that I have said, all good and true, you tantalized me. You still do. When I was younger, I honestly tried to follow a rainbow because I heard from the television that there is gold at the end of it. I really tried. I don't know if you know the feeling but it feels futile. The harder I ran towards the rainbow, the farther it seemed to be until I tried to catch my breath and when I looked, it was gone. That is how you tantalized me.


Niji, I can still bear the weight of my feelings. I can still flit between fantasy and reality. I am doubly inspired What's more surprising is that I can bear the frustration of being tantalized. Why? Because as I have said, you are my Rainbow, held dear to my heart. I just hope that unlike real rainbows, you don't vanish when I am not looking.


I fear the reaction that this letter might elicit. Nevertheless, I will revel in the idea that I have said my piece.

Comments (4)

On September 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM , Anonymous said...

we often attribute our loved ones as ethereal things. :-D i used to have "il sole," but he went away. as i have learned, in a very hard way, that "some things are better left untold."

i hope that your letter will have the reverse effect and give you "something meant to be."

those phrases were a part of a poem, but that is a whole new post altogether. :-D wishing you the best!

 
On September 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM , Rchrd said...

Gee, thanks Zee. Truth be told, I wish that you are correct. I want it to come true so badly.

 
On October 8, 2008 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous said...

wow. this post will melt any person's heart. i wish someday someone will write the same things for me. ang haba naman ng hair niya. nyaha. :-)

 
On October 8, 2008 at 1:36 PM , Rchrd said...

Emjay, I hope it did. Ü

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin