"Chad, what is 137 x 2?" Kate asked me last Monday. That was when we were buying 2 reams of bond paper for her project.

"374!" I replied with confidence.

"No, it's 274," she said in defiance.

Kate couldn't accept my answer and we insisted on our respective answers in front of the cashier. To finally settle the discussion, I took out my cell phone and calculated the real answer. To my surprise and utter embarrassment, the calculator did say 274.

Tuesday came and went. Before going home for the day, Kate and I had to submit reports to our boss. I was supposed to tally my work output for the day and I had to ask for the sum of 16 and 8. Since I acknowledged that I am really bad at math, I asked Kate.

"21," she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Everybody reacted with a gasp. After a few seconds, there was laughter all over our office. Our boss corrected us and said that the correct answer is 24. At that point, I felt that Kate and I were equals again; she can't boast her math skills over mine.

When I got home, I decided to do more work. At around 11 PM, I started wrapping up and I had to send another report. I had to email the report to my boss. I tallied my work again and I sent the report. After sending the report, I read my email again and I my mouth went agape!

I miscalculated the figures again. It was supposed to be 8 + 6. However, I put 10 instead of 14. Oh my God! I immediately wrote a follow-up email correcting my figures. Nevertheless, the embarrassment was already there and there's no way to take it back. After everything that happened, I learned one very important thing:

When faced with math problems, use a calculator.

Comments (2)

On February 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM , Kate Evangelista said...

Wahahahah! Really, the adventures you and I go through. I love the laughter we share between us and thank goodness for being mathematically disabled!

Adding wrong numbers,
Kate

 
On February 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous said...

nyahaha! ayoko talaga ng math. ever =)

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin